Garden Office / Garden Studio foundations and base systems - your options explained
|Tigger from next door|
- There is NO base type suitable for all sites.
- If you are using concrete (sometimes best) don’t order it before the shuttering is perfect. By perfect I mean strong, exactly the size of the building footprint, exactly the shape of the building footprint and accessible to the delivery – “you can use barrows or mix and pour but make sure the route to site works”. CONCRETE IS HEAVY! And you don’t get long to work with it.
- If you are using a timber frame base make sure NONE of the timber is in contact with soil and don’t forget that this needs to meet the footprint rule too.
- If you are using another system ask yourself – WHY? It’s no good asking your supplier because the answer from them in reality is “well that’s what suits us”
- Buildings need a functional foundation (The Shard is not standing on a screwpad DIY base)
- The “next door neighbours son who needs a bit of work” might not know how to design and construct suitable foundations or clear up the mess!
- Your chosen supplier for a new Garden Building will NOT be able to recommend the correct system if he or she has not seen the site.